You may not even know you do it. Yet, you feel the pain in your jaw when you wake up.
Bruxism, commonly known as teeth grinding, is when the teeth grind excessively at night or when you clench your jaw tightly during sleep. This is a serious condition that can result in serious tooth decay and damage.
Symptoms of bruxism include:
- tension headache
- jaw pain
- facial pain
- tooth enamel loss
- tooth restoration damage
- cracked or chipped teeth
- worn down chewing surfaces of the teeth
- damaged or loose crowns or fillings
Usually, this condition is caused by anxiety or stress in the bruxism sufferer’s life. That tension carries over into their sleep and is reflected in the excessive teeth grinding behavior.
Bruxism (Teeth Grinding) Treatment Options
There are a number of reliable and effective treatments to teeth grinding. Customized Nightguards are made from non-invasive impressions of the top and bottom rows of teeth. Then your dentist develops a comfortable and personalized version for your mouth. All Smiles Dentistry can create one fitted exactly for your mouth that may end the teeth grinding issues.
Teeth Grinding Prevention Tips
Along with wearing your customized nightguard, you can also do some of your own preventative care. Here are some tips that may mitigate your teeth grinding issues:
- Abstain from alcohol and caffeine usage which may increase teeth-grinding.
- Relax your jaw muscles by applying a warm wash cloth against your cheek and not chewing on pencils, pens, gum or other objects that keep your jaw tense. Instead, keep your jaw relaxed and stress-free.
- Decrease stress in your routine. Listen to soft music as you get ready for bed and lay in bed, read humorous or soothing literature, stay off social media at least an hour before you get into bed, take a warm bath or soak your feet in Epsom salts.
If you suspect that you have Bruxism, contact our dental care office. We can diagnose it and recommend the proper dental care measures. Z and the staff is amazing! Thank you for the countless years of great